How to setup Cellmate VPN Access
This feature allows remote troubleshooting of PLC and robot failures
Tend leverages a well-known open source VPN service called ZeroTier to allow secure remote access to authorized users. The Cellmate VPN feature is disabled by default. Review their product here: https://github.com/zerotier/ZeroTierOne
To get started, follow these instructions:
1. Login to app.tend.ai/cellmates to view your Cellmates. Click on the 'Edit Cellmate' button on the Cellmate you wish to configure and check the 'VPN' box, then click OK.
2. Click on the VPN button. You will see a popup that shows the status of the setup process:
If for any reason the process does not reach the 'Ready' state, simply disable VPN, wait a moment, and turn it back on to try again.
3. Once it is ready, download the ZeroTier VPN Client software from here: https://www.zerotier.com/download/
4. Launch the software from your desktop. It adds a Zerotier icon in your tray:
5. Click on the icon and click 'Join Network', using the network ID from the popup:
6. Your desktop must be authorized to join the network. There is a 'Refresh Clients' button on the popup that will look for new requests to join:
Once your device appears in the list, click the 'Authorize' button to assign allow it to join the network.
Note: This will not work if you have installed the client on a computer that is already on the same network as the Cellmate.
Once the connection is made, you will be able to ping hosts on the remote network and connect to PLCs and other devices using PLC management software applications on your desktop.